Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Dogs on LBI.
The following information was taken from our Question and Answers Forum. LBInet does not guarantee that the information is accurate.
Where can I stay with my dog (or pet)?
There are some homeowners that allow renters with pets. You'll need to check with them individually or call a local realtor and ask. Also, the Real Estate For Rent Classified Ads may have listings that include pet-friendly rentals.
Most hotels, motels and B&B's do not permit dogs. We are told that the Engleside Inn permits dogs after September 15th.
What are the rules for dogs on the beach?
- According to the signs posted on Long Beach Township beaches, no dogs are allowed on the beach from 5/1 to 10/1.
- Prohibited from April thru Sept. in Barnegat Light and the State Park permits them but only on the concrete walkways.
- Sign at the beach entrances in Beach Haven: "No dogs allowed".
- Try Island Beach State Park in Seaside - you are allowed to take your dog on what they call the "fishing beaches."
- None of LBI's beach areas, Barnegat Light State Park, National wildlife refuge, etc. allow dogs during the season.
- The state park which allows them after Aug 15.
Why is LBI such an unfriendly place for pets?
Try to view it from a homeowner's or hotel owner's point-of-view. You have to worry about unknown animals doing all sorts of things in your rentals. While most petowners are responsible and have well-behaved pets, an owner cannot tell which pets will do what. Plus, there are always sandfleas, ticks, etc.
Pets are usually not allow on the beaches because not everyone cleans up after their pet. Pet feces left on the beach are unhealthy, not only on the beach itself, but for the ocean also.
Are there any dog kennels on the island?