Pruzack

MarryAllen Real Estate

Bayshore Real Estate

LBI.net Offer

Boathouse Restaurant

Bob McLaughlin, Re/Max Realtors

LBInet Long Beach Island LBI History
LBI Aerial Photos
LBI Photo Gallery
WebCams On LBI
Hurricane Sandy
Weather & Tides
Questions & Answers
LBI Classifieds
Yellow Pages
LBI Maps, Directions
LBI Non-Profit Orgs
Advertisers Index
LBInet: Long Beach Island, New Jersey 08008

LBI NJ Home

LBI History
LBI Timeline
LBI Geography
Bibliography

Of Tide And Time:
A Narrative History of LBI

Introduction
Shipwreck
Note in a Bottle
Atlantis

Community Histories
Barnegat Light
Beach Haven
Beach Haven Crest
Beach Haven Gardens
Beach Haven Inlet
Beach Haven Park
Beach Haven Terrace
Brant Beach
Brighton Beach
The Dunes
Haven Beach
Harvey Cedars
Holgate
Loveladies
North Beach
North Beach Haven
Peahala Park
Ship Bottom
South Beach Haven
Spray Beach
Surf City

LBInet Regional
Aerial Photos
Communities
LBI History
Maps & Directions
Non-Profit Organizations
Weather & Tides
Postcards Past
WebCams On LBI

Interact Live On LBInet
Contact Us
LBI Photo Gallery
Questions & Answers

LBInet eCommerce
Businesses Online
Add Your Business
Ad Rates
Advertisers Index
Privacy Statement
Yellow Pages

Custom Search

Long Beach Island History
Timeline

Historical links will take you to our narrative history: Of Tide and Time.
Community Name links lead to the History Pages of the individual communities.


1614 Cornelius May names Barnegat Inlet.
1745 Ephraim Morse lives on Short Beach (Tucker's Island).
1750 Cranberry Inlet opens.
1765 Reuben Tucker purchases Ephraim Morse's property on Short Beach (Tucker's Island).
1790 Clamtown becomes Tuckerton, New Jersey.
1815 Captain Joseph Horner builds the Philadelphia Company House (Holgate).
Cranberry Inlet closes up.
1820 Herring House opens near the Barnegat Inlet (Barnegat Light).
1821 The Great Swamp is destroyed by a hurricane (see Surf City).
1822 The Mansion of Health opens for its first season (see Surf City).
The Philadelphia Company House opens under new management (see Holgate).
1834 First Barnegat Lighthouse built.
1841 Samuel Perrine establishes the Harvey Cedars Hotel.
1845 Tucker House burns down (Tucker's Island).
1848 Little Egg Harbor Lighthouse built (Tucker's Island).
Government House of Refuse built at Harvey Cedars.
1851 Thomas Bond buys the Philadelphia Company House and changes its name to the Long Beach House (Holgate).
1854 The Powhatan shipwrecks just off Great Swamp (see Surf City).
Camden and Atlantic Railroad completed.
1855 Herring House is sold to John Brown who renames it Ashley House (Barnegat Light).
1859 Second Barnegat Lighthouse at begins operation.
1865 Congress reestablishes Little Egg Harbor Light (Tucker's Island).
Eber Rider becomes the first light keeper of Little Egg Harbor Light (see Tucker's Island).
1866 Jarvis Rider becomes first master of the Little Egg Harbor Life Saving Station on Tucker's Island.
1870 Sumner Kimball becomes chief of the Revenue Marine Service.
1871 The U.S. Life Saving Service is established.
Bond's Life Saving Station built (Holgate).
Tuckerton Railroad completed.
1872 Archelaus Ridgeway Pharo runs a spur track from the Tuckerton Railroad to Edge Cove.
The Barclay provides transportation from to Edge Cove to Beach Haven.
Tilton Fox opens the Hotel DeCrab (see Beach Haven).
1873 The Tuckerton and Long Beach Land, Building and Improvement Company is established.
1874 Beach Haven founded.
Dock Road built on Mud Hen Creek (Beach Haven).
Parry House opens in Beach Haven.
The Bay View House opens in Beach Haven.
Long Beach City established at Great Swamp (Surf City).
The Mansion of Health burns down (Surf City).
The Mansion House is built (Surf City).
Old Inlet is no longer navigable.
1875 The Columbia Hotel opens on Tucker's Island.
1876 The Engleside Hotel opens in Beach Haven.
1879 Javis Rider builds St. Albans.
Sea Haven is established (Tucker's Island).
1881 Parry House is destroyed by fire.
Holy Innocents Episcopal Church founded.
The Oceanic Hotel opens in Barnegat City Barnegat Light).
The steamer Hesse begins service from Tom's River to Barnegat City (Barnegat Light).
1882 Beach Haven Yacht Club founded.
The Peahala Gunning Club founded (Peahala Park).
1883 The Hotel Baldwin opens as the Arlington Inn (see Beach Haven).
The Sans Souci Hotel opens in Barnegat City (see Barnegat Light).
Beach Haven Fire Company established.
1884 Telegraph service reaches Tucker's Island.
1886 A Railroad trestle bridge is built to the island.
The Manahawkin and Long Beach Railroad is completed.
1889 A Lighthouse Keeper's house is built in Barnegat City (see Barnegat Light).
1890 William L. Bulter becomes Beach Haven's first Mayor.
1894 Surf City becomes an independent borough.
Harvey Cedars becomes an independent borough.
1895 Sea Haven schoolhouse opens (Tucker's Island).
1904 John Cranmer opens the Acme Hotel (Beach Haven).
1907 The Sea Haven Company plans St. Albans-by-the-Sea (Tucker's Island).
1909 Mercer Baird becomes mayor of Beach Haven.
1912 Little Egg Harbor Yacht Club founded.
1914 Automobile Causeway and Long Beach Boulevard constructed.
1915 The U.S. Coast Guard is established.
1919 Prohibition begins.
1920 Beach Haven Inlet is created.
A road is built to Barnegat City (Barnegat Light).
1921 Camp Whelen founded by the Philadelphia YMCA (Harvey Cedars).
1923 Trains stop running to the north end of Long Beach Island.
1924 Haupt Jetties built at Holgate.
1926 G.E. Bliss finds Beach Haven Gardens.
1927 Little Egg Harbor Lighthouse falls into the sea (Tucker's Island).
1932 St. Albans-by-the-Sea is removed from tax books (Tucker's Island).
1933 Prohibition ends.
Little Egg Coast Guard station abandoned (Tucker's Island).
1935 A storm destroys the Railroad bridge to the island. Service ends.
1936 Railroad tracks are removed from the island.
1940 The Peahala Gunning Club is burned down. (Peahala Park)
1941 Harvey Cedars Bible Conference established.
1948 Barnegat City's name is offically changed to Barnegat Light.


LBInet: Long Beach Island on the Web! Area's #1 Web Site

Privacy Statement | Contact Us at LBInet
© 2014 Neal Communications
All Rights Reserved